6.29.2012

Sweet Carrot Salsa


First off, I have to say that I ABSOLUTELY LOVE carrots in salsa. They really add another dimension, fullness to the flavor and crunch to the bite. This salsa is seriously so addicting and once you start adding carrots to your homemade salsa, you will wonder why you never thought of it before and you will never look back.

Now I know what your thinking... why would I waste my time making salsa if I can buy my favorite variety in the store for under $5.00? Well first of all remember, I'm a sorta food snob and I like making my own fresh versions of my favorite sauces, dips and condiments. So get used to it.

However, being a food snob is not the only reason to pull out the food processor or blender to make this delcious dip. I have to remind you that there are several gross risk factors when buying store bought varieties of salsas. Yes, it's clearly easier to throw a jar of salsa into your shopping cart and use it at your leisure. But there are risks involved, as well. I won't mention them here but if you're interesting in learning more about what is REALLY in our food supply, please read my note on the FDA and store-bought goods, coming to you soon. As consumers, we have to take responsibility for ourselves. If you truly want to eat well, create health and enjoy REAL food then you better betcha you will have to get cooking, blending and fermenting. 

So let's support local farmers and try to make healthier choices everyday. I'm doing my best to bring healthy, fresh and yummy recipes right to your computer screen.

Sweet Carrot Salsa
Makes about two cups of salsa
Ingredients:
3 roma tomatoes

2 whole carrots
¼ cup of cilantro
¼ cup of white onion
½  a jalapeno
Dash of sea salt (1 tsp.)
1 tbsp. of apple cider vinager
½ tbsp. of lemon juice
½ packet of stevia (for sugar-free) OR 1-2 tbsp. of 100% REAL maple syrup or raw honey

Directions:
1. Wash all fresh ingredients

2. Chop onions, carrots and jalapeno
3. Cut ends off tomatoes and cut in thirds
3. Add all ingredients to the blender or food processor
4. Pulse for a chunkier salsa and blend for a more smooth variety (I prefer a little chunky)
5. Serve with any mexican dish or tortilla chips

Please Enjoy!

xo Natalie

No comments: